Friday, May 7, 2010

My First Guest Spot on Radio!!!

For all of those who don't already know, earlier this week I was invited to fill a guest spot Thursday night on the "Upfront & Straightforward with Alan Roger Currie" 10pm Blog Radio Show. A very exciting opportunity that I'm very thankful to have been able to be a part of since it seemed to come at the perfect time. So a special thanks to Adrienne H. (she'll know who she is...:) for thinking of me when she came accross this opportunity and for taking the time to reach out to me. If it weren't for her I would have never known about the available guest spot on the show. 

It's funny how all this came to me just days after one of the producers helping me develop my show and I were discussing ways to promote it once we got the pilot going.  I kept telling myself.....I want to start promoting the show & casting now!!! Talk about  putting a wish out to the universe and receiving! The taping for the pilot is only two months away and I have been so blessed on how far I've gotten so far on this television project. We're currently casting for the project and just officially cast a single dad for the show a week ago. So everything is magically falling into place as if it's meant to be....so exciting to finally see my prayers and dreams start manifesting into reality...YIPPPEEEEE!!!!

Anyway, so the open discussion topic on the show was on "Single Parents and Dating". The challenges of dating after a divorce and/or having a child out of wedlock. It's just freaking crazy to think about how many single moms are out there like me. Going through the same challenges, hardships and critisim as I have and sometimes still do. I really hope that more and more radio stations start holding open discussions on the topic of single parents and all the issues that surround us because it's really a topic that will draw a huge audience.

I haven't really talked about the idea much but one of the ideas I had was pitching the idea of a weekly radio show or segment devoted to the topic of "Single Parents" to one of the local radio stations in NJ. Every show or segment focusing on one topic like, "Dead beat dads or moms" or "Child Custody Drama" or "Dating a woman/man with children or teenage children" ......think about it....we can get really creative with the topics.

Since this is a topic I am very passionate about because of my own experiences and those of my friends and people around me I can really get into it....and of course my passion for talking....everyone who knows me I can take a boring ass topic and make a conversation about it...ha ha. And just to take it further....my idea is to also have experts come on the show...a family law attorney or therapist. This is definitley an idea I'd like to pursue further once I get my television show concept off the ground. I have so many creative ideas about this and really hope I get the opportunity to explore it further.

When the show first introduced me I'll admit I was really nervous at first and kept telling myself..."Okay Jessica whatever you don't talk fast don't talk fast."  Something I tend to do when either I'm nervous or am not sure what to say and am put on the spot. But I guess that's to be expected for someone who is new to the industry and this being my first time on radio and hopefully the one of many. By the time I was done I was proud of myself for having had the experience and an added bonus of walking away from it with so much more knowledge then before.

So thank you Alan for inviting me on as a guest for your show and hopefully it won't be the last! Thank you for taking the time to devote a whole show to this topic because whether people like it or not the rates of one parent families have increased dramatically in the past few years and probably will continue to so for some years to come.

For those who didn't get a chance to listen to the show last night, can click below for the recorded show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/modeone

Look for the blog talk radio box and click on "Single Moms & Dating" to play the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment