Thursday, April 22, 2010

Living in the Past & How it Can Destroy You

It has only been 24 hours since I turned 28 years old. Wow...can't believe that in two years I'm going to hit the big "30". When I think about how many years have gone by that I've struggled with finding my place in life, my life purpose & own self-worth, I can't help to think about the things that I could have done differently  to avoid wasting so much time living in misery with my own self and believing that the life I was currently living was it for me. That I was meant to live my life struggling financially and alone because of my fear of letting a man into my life again after going through what I went through in previous relationships. I felt scarred beyond repair and actually believed that no amount of therapy or prayer would be able to turn things around for me. The funny thing is that even during those dark moments in my life, I still believed in miracles and good things happening to good people. But I just didn't believe anything good could happen to me because of what my past had been. I can't help to wish sometimes that "If only I knew then what I know now" things could have been a little different.

But I know there's nothing we can do to change what has happened and that we can't let the past define who we are. Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect. It's who we choose to be in the present moment and who we wish to be in the future that will define who we are as a person moving forward. It's the action we take after a mistake that really characterizes who you are. You can either learn from the mistake and use it to make you stronger and wiser or ignore your wrong doing and continue living as if it never happen. It's our choice to decide what we want out of our lives. If we keep believing that no good can come into our lives then that's exactly what's going to happen. We have to believe that good things can happen to us and that no matter what are past is that there's always hope. You can choose to make a change at any given moment and its at that very moment that you decide within youself and with your heart that the change takes place.

The point of life is not only to do great things and have fun but to live it with no regrets. Everyone knows that life here on earth does not last forever and no one knows when it will be our time to go. So why waste the time you have feeling sorry for yourself? Why not make sure that when you leave this life onto the next that you leave with a great big "Bang" and leave behind a legacy that the family and friends you leave behind can be proud of? Think about it....look at Marilyn Monroe, Martin Luther King Jr., & Elvis....a few names out of millions that survived poverty, betrayal, and negativity in their lives and rose above it all and accomplished great things and made a name for themselves and decades after their death we're still talking about them.



It took me a long time to realize how powerful the human mind is and despite the years I've wasted after my little girl was born feeling sorry for myself and settling for less then I deserved there is honestly not one thing that I would change about the past. I realized after an extensive period of soul searching that it my very past that was destroying the possibilities of my current life. The past is exactly what it is, "the past" and instead of letting it define who I was using it to fire up my determination and desire to work towards my goals and dreams and make a name for myself and build my own legacy for those I believe behind when it's my time to go. I hope god blesses me with a long life....that I live to 100 because in my eyes I still have alot of work to do to build that legacy of mine and I have to make up for lost time now.

Living your life happily and in the midst of all your dreams and not giving up until they become a reality is a choice you have to make yourself. No one else can do it for you and I hope with my success I can teach others who are blinded by their current circumstances to see all this and save themselves from all the misery they would endure if they don't make the choice of choosing the good things in life.

Even though I'm still not fully done with letting go of the past and somehow forgiving those who have hurt and betrayed me, there's still been a lot of progress within the past two years and it's amazing at how much clearer things seem to be in my life. So I am really looking forward to the day where all the forgiving as been completed and the burden on me can be fully lifted. I've discovered so many great things about myself that I never knew about. I've been able to enjoy my passion for creative writing again and explore my other desires that have been hidden within me for so many years. It's been an amazing journey I tell you and hope that as I begin to share my life with the world that somehow it touches the life of other women including single moms that either have been or are in the dark place I was in not too long ago.

It's time ladies that we start taking control of our lives and the lives of our families instead of letting it control us!

No comments:

Post a Comment