Tuesday, March 30, 2010

OPRAH'S NO PHONE ZONE PLEDGE....PLEASE READ!!!!!!

So everyone that knows me will tell you that one of my biggest hero's in the world is Oprah. I've been following and watching her show for over ten years and her story of how she came to be who she is today is in my eyes one of the most inspirational stories in the world. Being ranked year after year as one of the richest African American of the 20th Century, once even being documented as the world's only African American billionaire and even today still is considered to be the greatest and most successful black philanthropist in American history.

So when Oprah started the "No Phone Zone" movement it was no surprise to me when millions and millions of people started to come forward in agreement with signing the "No Phone Zone" Pledge promising that they'd support the movement 100% and not talk or text on cell phones while driving. After all Oprah is probably the world's most influential woman--at least to me she is. :)

I know personally that when I drive by or read a local headline of a care horrific car accident and the first thing that pops into my head at that moment is "Oh lord, I hope there weren't any kids in those cars." Of course my hope is that all those involved survived and/or walked away unharmed but the thought of the possibility of an innocent child's life being cut short because of someone's careless driving starts to fuel every single bone and fiber in my body until it feels like I'm going to burst into flames at any given moment.

To be honest, there was a time in my life not too long ago where I thought the same thing that thousands and thousands of other drivers out there did. That I had it all under control because one of the things I was good at was multi-tasking. I remember how I used to rush to work every morning driving through heavy traffic and doing my make-up in the car while drinking my morning coffee. Looking back at those days now....I just can't figure out how I was able to do my eyeliner and mascara during those A.M. car rides. There were also times when I was so caught up in my phone conversations at a red light that I'd be startled by the honking horns behind me of angry drivers because I failed to drive when the light turned greened. And yes I am guilty of texting too and won't lie or deny it.

But when I saw that episode on Oprah where guests talked about the tradgedies that struck their lives due to careless driving from texting and talking on cell phones it became a big pivital moment for me no lie. The very tradgedies that could of been prevented. It wasn't just the emotinoal, heart-breaking real stories that opened my eyes to the fact that, even those great multi-taskers out there can not possibly text and talk on the phone and pay full attention to the road ahead of them. It wasn't even just those heart wrenching stories that got me either. It was the tests they did towards the second half of the show where they took three different people a male, a mom and a young teen girl and had them participate in numerous driving tests. The end results was astonishing and had me sitting on the end of my seat with my mouth wide open with my right hand over it.

To think of all those times that I had driven with my daughter in the car while on the phone talking in deep conversations using my bluetooth, those times I'd text and drive during bumper to bumper traffic, at red lights or on cleared highways. All those times I'd talk on the phone and then reach my destination and thought really quickly to myself...."Geez that was fast...." and can't recall exactly what route I took to get there. Just thinking about it now gives me the chills. Even though I am ever so grateful to God, the universe and the angels for protecting me and my little girl always and never letting anything bad happen to us; it still brings on a feeling of guilt that I'd put not only myself in such danger but that I risked the life of my daughter whenever she was in the car with me and hundreds of others driving by me. It's really scary honesty and I'm sure there are other readers out there who can relate to these feelings.

That day that Oprah aired that episode and started the NO PHONE ZONE movement was a life changing event for me. I no longer answer calls in the car...if my cell phone rings...who ever is calling can wait. I haven't even been using my bluetooth anymore!! Life is too precious to risk over a phone call or text message that could wait until you are done driving. It's not worth risking your life along with you families and others with families of their own. That incoming phone call or text can WAIT. Statistics have shown that texting and talking on the phone while driving is just as bad as driving drunk....no lie guys!! Go on U tube or Oprah.com and watch the episode that started the "No Phone Zone" movement and see for yourself! I am going to preach this movement along side Oprah and all those who support the movement alreadynand hope to spread awareness on this issue and hope that those who read this will pass this important message on to others.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR CAR A "NO PHONE ZONE" NOW!!!

Log onto Oprah's website below and click on the No Phone Zone Banner and sign the pledge now. Your dedication to this can save a life....including your own.

Oprah website: http://www.oprah.com/

Watch this Video for a special message from the talk show queen herself and pass it along to all those you love and care about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivO_q8eeg4A    (Copy & paste into browser)

Jessica F.
Single Mom & Believer in Miracles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment